Self Drive Road Trip of Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Bakwena Lodge, Chobe.

Self Drive Road Trip of Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Bakwena Lodge, Chobe. 

Sunday 12th May 2019
Today we were crossing borders, leaving Namibia and entering Botswana. We had to be at our accommodation, Bakwena Lodge for 14.00 to give Bushlore the car back.  
This was because Bakwena lodge was an All Inclusive Lodge and I didn’t think we would need a car- I was correct we didn’t. I had wanted to stay at the Chobe Safari Lodge on the river in Kasane but it was fully booked.
I love Chobe Game Reserve, it’s my favourite place on earth. The town of Kasane is a buzzing place and again I love it.
At £350.00 per person per night Bakwena Lodge was by far the most expensive place we stayed on this trip. But to put this cost into perspective, it was advertised that the fee included two game activities a day, river or land . All Beer and Wine, Food, Laundry and upmarket accommodation.
Driving through Kasane we were struggling to find the lodge, the were no signposts to it. We had to ask at a petrol station and they advised it was not in Kasane but in Kazugula by the ferry, and the new bridge that’s being built. Even as we got close to the ferry we really struggled to find the lodge there was one sign and that was it. At last we arrived; it is located in a residential area close to the river.
 As we arrive we met a large group of North Americans checking in and we were told to wait and stand at the entrance. This was a bit odd as we had to empty the car for Bushlore and felt under pressure! 
We stood waiting for over 15 minutes then were led with about 20 others into the dining area where we were subject to had an extensive briefing. 
This was very prescriptive, outlining the dos and don’ts of the lodge in great detail. Having just left the absolute tranquility and wilderness of the Kwango-Linyanti region and it felt very impersonal, but this could just be that I was stressed and unprepared for the mass briefing!
As I have said the Loge was All Inclusive, but only included Beer and Wine – the Wine on offer was awful- very cheap and basically horrid! This needs to be amended and decent wine offered; most of the people at the lodge were drinking spirits and paying extra. 
The activities are included; 2 a day. 
We were told that we would have One River trip and Two Game drives. As I was in Chobe to go on the Chobe River I asked that this be changed, this was not a problem and was amended - so we did one early morning Game drive and 2 Sun-downer river trips. 3 activities as opposed to 4.
All the activities were of very high standard in new vehicles with outstanding guides. It took at good three quarters of an hour to get to the gates of Chobe National Park so you have to leave the lodge very early. 
We were also informed that you could trade 2 activities for a trip to Victoria Falls. I had paid this Lodge extra for a transfers to Vic Falls so was a bit irritated that this had not been advised when I booked! The lodge also advertises that it offers a free laundry service. But at the briefing it was made clear that as all the laundry was done by hand, it was 4 small items per person, so no free laundry at all!!!! I don’t know why but all of this just irritated me!!!! 


Bakwena Lodge, Chobe  

Bakwena Lodge, Chobe  
Bakwena Lodge, Chobe  


Bakwena Lodge, Chobe  
Bakwena Lodge, Chobe  
Chobe 
Chobe 

The lodge is stunning, the rooms were lovely, clean, and comfortable with a fantastic outside shower- an inside one as well, lots of hot water. The food was plentiful. 
On the second night the staff put on a Boma show, the food severed on this night was not as good as the first night or the lunch that day.
I enjoyed Chobe and the Game was as good as ever, we saw another honey Badger! from none to five in one trip. and a Pride of Lions hunting. 
Our last visit to Kasane a house boat and I think this was more my style, as although Bakwena was good, I  would not go again due to the cost as I do not think it was value for money and I felt 'ripped off'. As a side issue, I received an email from the lodge owner stating that a negative post had been put on Trip Advisor and asking if I had posted it? 

Comments

Popular Posts