Holland America Line - Please Do Not Disappoint!

January 2023 seems to have been the longest month ever. Maybe because I am waiting to go on holiday?

During the Covid lockdown I booked a 35 day cruise to the Hawaii & The South Pacific, departing on the 19th Feb 2023. It was with Holland America Line (HAL) and the itinerary was perfect; visiting all the islands of the South Pacific I had long dreamed about, Hawaii as an added bonus.

One year after my booking HAL changed the ship from the Zuierdam to the Koningsdam, changing this also changed the room allocated. Two month after that by chance i saw that HAL had changed the itinerary ports were changed and three ports were dropped and changed to sea days. In Feb 2022I received an email with more changes, time in ports reduced, ports dropped and replaced with sea days, but the biggest bombshell was the two night stop in Bora Bora was replaced by sea days. As this was no longer the product I had purchased I contacted HAL, sadly there was nothing they could do. If I cancelled the cruise I would lose my deposit, as there was nothing the customer service person could do for me at this point; other than quote company policy- I wrote, on pen and paper to the chief executive.

I did receive a reply, telephone and email from a very nice customer services representative. I could use my deposit for another cruise, however, it had to be within one year of the original date and at least half the duration. After searching I found a Caribbean Cruise that fitted the stipulations and booked it. So! that is where I am setting off to. Flying to Miami with Virgin Atlantic, staying in the Miami area and a 21 night cruise with Holland America. I have great expectations and sometimes that's not a good thing!  

Comments

Popular Posts